If your’re a professional patient (like myself) learning to describe your symptoms like well… a professional can be very insightful. Answering these 7 ” Little Quick Questions To Settle My Anxiety” is a quick, easy and thorough way of describing/tracking your symptoms to a level that will give your doctor a lot of information. (I will use pain as the example but adapt this framework to pretty much anything)
2. Quality: Describe the pain. Is this a sharp pain? Is it dull pain? Does it start off dull and then become sharp? Is it throbbing?
3. Quantity/Severity: How badly would you rate the pain on a 0-10 scale?
4. Timing: Onset, duration, frequency of pain
5. Setting: Is this the pain worse you eat meals? When you lay down at night? When you exercise? When you eat certain foods?
6. Modifying factors: What makes the pain feel better or worse? (i.e. using a heat pad, sleeping on stomach, taking medication etc. etc)
7. Associated symptoms: Any other GI related issues that occur with the pain? Bleeding? Diarrhea? Nausea? Vomiting?